LueElla Canton

| Tuesday, January 31, 2012



I didn’t anticipate turning in this assignment for my Picture Story class. I’ve been sick with bronchitis and coughing in a subject’s face is less then appealing. My professor helped me create an alternative assignment, but I woke up this morning feeling significantly better. I got off of work at 5 and I figured it would be a cop out to not attempt to find a subject.

I convinced myself that there are loads of interesting people with interesting stories out there. I need only find them and ask.

I was driving aimlessly for a while hoping to see people on their porches or walking around their neighborhoods. But it was getting dark and most people were inside.

I was pretty discouraged until I drove by a building with a crowd of people out front. I thought I saw someone waving to me to come in but I kept driving. A block away I realized this was a mistake. You have to look for signs and opportunities. I turned around and parked my car.

It was the All People’s Missionary Baptist Church in Columbia where I had been waved down. I was quickly welcomed inside and introduced to a lot of wonderful people. I sat through the service because I wanted to get a feel for what this church community was like. I was amazed by the openness, honesty and passion displayed.

Tonight I focused on LueElla Canton. She has been a pastor at this church for twelve years and started preaching when she was nine. This video is a very small part of her story. I hope to work with her more in the future and to continue to tell her story.

0 comments:

Followers